Friday, September 3, 2010

Getting Back To Normal

Dear Family -
Well, this is my first post after a truly great vacation.  I wanted you all to know that I had a great time and appreciated all that you did to make it so special.  Driving to Seattle and back was truly heroic in my book.  For my first post, I just have to tell you about my visit to London.  As I am a very inexperienced traveler, I just don't know all the ropes about getting in and out of the airport and such.  Afraid I would get stuck somewhere, I chose not to venture far from the airport.  So, this left me sitting in the airport for a long, long time.  Even when you are vegetating in an airport, you get hungry.  Heathrow is a big place, so I started looking earnestly for something familiar and cheap.  Nada.  Zip.  Zilch.  All they had were trendy restaurants that start at 10 Pounds for an appetizer.  Way out of my price range for airport food.  The only fast food was Starbucks and that was expensive as well.  I found the typical airport travel store that sold water, chips, sodas, etc.  I thought that I lucked out because they had a cooler full of sandwiches.  I ran to the door and opened it.  It was appalling.  Row after row of "prawn and cheese" sandwiches. 



Seriously!  Who the heck eats a prawn and cheese sandwich?  Obviously no one does because they have a cooler full of them.  As I left the store with my Coke Zero (which later exploded over me), I found a place to enter traveler's comments.  I wrote a page and a half about the need for a McDonalds.  EVERY airport I had been to before that had a McDonalds.  Kimpo in Seoul had a McDonalds.  Even Wonderland has a McDonalds.  You can see where my rant is going.  Maybe, just maybe, by the time I go on leave again, they will mend their ways and start having real food.

Love you!

No comments: