Friday, July 2, 2010

The Power of Marketing

Dear Family-

One of the neat things about living overseas is getting out and about to observe how daily life happens.  A lot of the stuff we just take for granted is absent.  You are hungry; where do you get food?  Your car needs gas, where do you fill up?  I could probably plop you down in any city in the US and you could solve each of those problems in a matter of minutes.  When you are living somewhere that doesn't share your language or culture, it gets a lot harder.  I have found that once you cross the barrier of being able to understand where to go for things, the rest is pretty easy.  As an example, I had to go shopping for laundry detergent the other day.  I went to the store and was able to find what I needed.  I didn't find what I was looking for because I could read the language, I found it because I know what it looks like.  After years of seeing the same old packaging, you automatically know what something is by seeing it.  Neat, huh? (it is Tide by the way)

Love you!

No comments: