Sunday, July 29, 2012

Perspective

There has been a lot of talk lately about the haves and have-nots.  This is most commonly spoken in terms of the 1% having most of everything and the 99% fighting for what is left.  I personally believe that there is a different side to this argument and it became really clear when I saw the following quote:

"There are two kinds of people in this world. The ninety-nines and the ones.  The Ninety-Nines...that’s what I call 'em. Ninety-nine out of a hundred people can't fathom what I do. They scratch their heads, can't believe my dedication to this great sport. Many don't even think this a sport or that I have a life. Never let others define your 'life' for you. This is what I have chosen. This is the road I've taken, with all the potholes, bumps, and turns. The Ninety-nines, they can't commit 100% to being their best, to step up one day and stand tall among the giants."


We look at the people that put hours and hours in to working out and taking care of their bodies and we are jealous.  We are jealous that they have something that we all want, but that few of us have the dedication and drive to obtain.  Lets be real.  We all could have great bodies if we were willing to put the work in to exercise and to sacrifice when it come time to having desert.  Where we rank in the 1% or 99% or the have or have nots is no different.  I do not kid myself and think that I stand tall among giants, but I get it.  I am dedicated and willing to do WHATEVER it takes to have a better life for myself and my family.  And yet, I realize that there are people who are more driven and willing to sacrifice even more than I am to succeed and get ahead.  Telling someone to give me something I didn't earn makes no more sense than telling someone they need to eat a box of donuts because their six pack makes me feel bad.










1 comment:

loveaphid said...

Seriously, do you really believe that the 1 % has earned all of their money? That the tax breaks, back room deals and other various and sundry loopholes for their money are all earned? And that the money that they receive from all of this is not subtracting from the over well being of the average person? That they sacrificed and sweat, and gave up many things to be where they are? I can assure you that a good many of them did not. Most of them live off of dividends that their great grandparents money is spinning off, or tax deductions that benefit them and them alone. Please explain to me why their capital gains are not taxed as income. Oh and do you suppose that those people who started from nothing and work every day 100% to their ability, who do in fact sacrifice a great deal just to have what they have, could do just a little more and they too could have the money that the 1% could have. Really there are even less than 1% that are truly self made, who started from nothing and made millions. I'm not suggesting that people should be given what they did not earn. But make no mistake many of the 1 % were given just that. Also hard work and sacrifice are not as highly valued as you might think. Unless you are doing said hard work and sacrifice in an industry that monetarily rewards it, you will never be in the 1 %. Oh and even from a health and fitness standpoint, there are many people who might make the same sacrifices as an elite athlete, but may never be able to compete. If you are short , you won't be tall. So if being tall is what you are after... You are SOL . No amount of work is going to change that. This argument only holds water if you are all starting from the same place, and you know that this is simply not the case.